- Finger Lakes region gets $59.8 million economic development award
The Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council was awarded $59.8 million Wednesday during a presentation in Albany, the third-lowest funding total given to 10 councils statewide.
- URMC, Jones Memorial expand collaboration
The University of Rochester Medical Center and Jones Memorial Hospital this month expanded a collaboration begun last year, adding new services at Jones Memorial, URMC and Jones Memorial officials said.
- Ex-VirtualScopics CEO Markin takes COO role at Bio-Optronics
Bio-Optronics Inc. has hired former VirtualScopics Inc. CEO Jeffrey Markin. The health care workflow provider said Markin will serve as vice president and chief operations officer effective immediately.
- Angel Network to invest $2.3 million in area businesses
The Rochester Angel Network has completed funding of its new Rochester Angel Fund, totaling $2.3 million from 67 members of the 75-member network. The money will be invested in Rochester businesses.
- Frontier gets FCC funding to invest in broadband network
Frontier Communications Corp. Wednesday said it will invest $7.9 million in its broadband network in New York State—dollars allotted from the Federal Communication Commission’s Connect America Fund.
- Home Properties communities honored in N.J.
Home Properties Inc. announced Wednesday its New Jersey communities have been recognized with a total of 11 awards—seven at the property level and four in individual categories—at the 20th annual Garden State Awards program presented by the New Jersey Apartment Association.
- Greater Rochester Quality Council awards area firms
ConServe, Exelis Geospatial Systems and Unity Hospital led the way in the 2013 Greater Rochester Quality Council Performance Excellence Awards.
- Report: Rochester ranks among poorest cities in the nation
Rochester is among the poorest communities in the nation, a report released Tuesday by the Rochester Area Community Foundation and ACT Rochester found.
- State commission recommends property tax freeze
A report released Tuesday by a state commission recommends a two-year freeze on property taxes, with a $2 billion budget surplus used to further reduce taxes, along with lowering rates for businesses.
- Catholic Family Center selects new president
Catholic Family Center of the Diocese of Rochester has found its new president and CEO.
- Economic development funding announcement due Wednesday
Funding for the state’s regional economic development councils will be announced Wednesday in Albany, officials said Tuesday.
- Home Properties buys apartment community for $15.5M
Home Properties Inc. has purchased Camelot Court in Brookhaven, Pa., for $15.5 million in a cash deal.
- Schumer urges J&J CEO to retain unit's jobs
Sen. Charles Schumer said Tuesday he had a positive discussion with Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky over the New Jersey-based company’s previously announced intention to reevaluate the status of its Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics Inc. unit.
- Flower City Habitat for Humanity appoints new leader
Flower City Habitat for Humanity Inc. has appointed a longtime non-profit leader as its next CEO and executive director.
- Tops holds re-opening event at Brighton store
Tops Friendly Markets Inc. on Tuesday marked the re-opening of its Brighton supermarket following a $4 million renovation.
- Xerox inks deal to combat cigarette smuggling in Kentucky
Xerox Corp. has signed a five-year deal to help the Kentucky Department of Revenue revamp its tobacco excise tax collections.
Majority: Firms can't refuse to follow law|
Businesses should not have the right to refuse to comply with federal law based on the owners’ religious beliefs.
Finding joy in someone else's misery can be tricky|
Any reform plan that truly targets what ails the U.S. health system will be disruptive.
In Congress' court|
Congress can--and should--resolve the issue of interstate sales tax collection for Web sales.
More From RBJ
- Red Wings GM Dan Mason hopes the Frozen Frontier will be a sports spectacle.Hattie Bryant hosts Small Business School. Daily videos educate you on small business operations.
- Check out this week's Seen page. You might recognize someone.Does the ACA's tax on medical devices make any sense?
- See the best bets for things to do this week in Rochester. Plus, the complete Explore listings.Rick Woodson - 1940-2013. Learn about the life and career of RBJ's longtime, award-winning columnist.
New York State Headlines
- How to survive a subzero stranding (12/11/2013 1:14:52 PM)
- Hilton IPO brings in $2.35B, outdoes Twitter (12/11/2013 1:08:51 PM)
- MLB intends to ban plate collisions (12/11/2013 1:08:29 PM)
- NY drug addict who ran cancer scam pleads guilty (12/11/2013 1:05:26 PM)
- Arsenal through to last 16 as Napoli miss out (12/11/2013 12:59:33 PM)