Two architects and several local projects are to be honored Friday evening at the Rochester Chapter of the American Institute of Architects’ 2014 Design Excellence and Service Awards at the Memorial Art Gallery.
At a ceremony, expected to be attended by more than 185 regional design professionals and supporters, the AIA will present Roger Brown, its Medal of Distinction, a lifetime achievement award, and name Ken Glazer as its 2014 Emerging Architect of the Year winner.
Brown, a 45-year design practitioner, was the designer of the Corn Hill Landing Apartments for Mark IV Construction, and, subsequently, the Mills at High Falls for the Urban League of Rochester. He recently retired from Rochester’s Barkstrom & LaCroix Architects, but remains active with the Rochester Regional Community Design Center.
The organization is also honoring Glazer, Buckingham Properties LLC’s director of development and architectural services, who the agency said actively has sought to infuse a “heightened design aesthetic” throughout Buckingham’s portfolio, including its headquarters on Alexander Street, the Alexander Park development site and at the Midtown Tower complex.
Nine of 28 submitted projects also were chosen for awards. They are:
- Nazareth College of Rochester’s Integrated Center for Math and Science, SWBR Architecture, Engineering & Landscape Architecture P.C., and Burt Hill, a Stantec company;
- Rochester Institute of Technology Institute Hall, Bergmann Associates and Francis Cauffman;
- RIT Golisano Institute for Sustainability, SWBR and FX/Fowle Architects LLP;
- SUNY at Stony Brook’s NamanaBe Hall at Madagascar, In.Site: Architecture LLP;
- SUNY College at Fredonia Williams Center rehabilitation, Chaintreuil Jensen Stark Architects LLP Architects;
- Charlotte High School rehabilitation, CJS Architects;
- Sampson Veteran Memorial Cemetery, PLAN Architectural Studio P.C.;
- LiDestri Foods Inc. Innovation Center, LaBella Associates P.C.;
- Frank Lloyd Wright Boynton House rehabilitation, Bero Architecture PLLC.
The annual Design Excellence Awards ceremony honors excellence and achievement in design, sustainability and innovation.
(c) 2014 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-546-8303 or e-mail email@example.com.