The Rochester area economy again showed mixed signs in August, with a loss in the number of private-sector jobs, but a drop in the unemployment rate, the state Department of Labor reported Tuesday.
The Rochester metropolitan area unemployment rate was 6.9 percent last month, down from 8 percent a year ago. The Rochester metro area includes Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans and Wayne counties. The area rate in July was 7.1 percent.
Data in the report are not seasonally adjusted. The most valid comparison with this type of data are year-over-year comparisons of the same month, the Labor Department has noted.
The number of unemployed in Rochester in August was 36,300, down from 37,200 in July and 42,300 a year ago. Some 487,100 people were employed here last month, compared with 489,300 in July and 483,200 in August 2012.
Last week the Department of Labor reported Rochester gained 200 non-farms jobs, not seasonally adjusted, while the number of private-sector jobs fell by 800. Rochester was the only region statewide with private-sector job losses in August.
Area unemployment rates in August, not seasonally adjusted, were:
• Monroe County—7.1 percent, down from 7.2 percent in July and 8.2 percent a year ago;
• Genesee County—5.8 percent, compared with 6.1 percent in July and 6.9 percent in August 2012;
• Livingston County—6.7 percent, compared with 6.8 percent in July and 7.4 percent a year ago;
• Ontario County—5.7 percent, down from 5.9 percent in July and 6.6 percent a year ago;
• Orleans County—8.4 percent, compared with 8.5 percent in July and 11 percent in August 2012; and
• Wayne County—6.5 percent, compared with 6.8 percent in July and 7.9 percent a year ago.
Statewide, the unemployment rate was 7.5 percent, down from 8.5 percent in August 2012. The rate was 7.6 percent in July. Some 735,200 people were unemployed in New York last month, compared with 743,000 in July and 819,900 a year ago.
The jobless rate in Buffalo-Niagara Falls last month was 7.3 percent, down from 8.4 percent a year ago. The Syracuse area unemployment rate was 7.3 percent in August down from 8.3 percent a year ago.
(c) 2013 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-546-8303 or e-mail email@example.com.