This Week
  • EFP Rotenberg will pay $100,000 to settle SEC charges.

  • Former star dancer Karen Brown has a new leading role with Garth Fagan Dance.

  • Brite Computers Inc. is a second-generation, family-run IT provider.

  • For leaders in the construction industry, workplace safety is a top priority.

  • Eric Thornton, 27, tracks markets as a buyer at Baldwin Richardson Foods.

  • The Schools Report Card has rankings for 27 districts and more than 250 schools.

Compensation costs highest in Northeast

By ASHLEY COON
Spotlight
Rochester Business Journal
December 21, 2012

The Northeast has the nation's highest average employee compensation cost, new research shows. Employer costs for employee compensation nationwide averaged $30.80 per hour worked in September 2012, data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics show. The BLS measures employer costs for wages, salaries and employee benefits for non-farm private and state and local government workers. Wages and salaries averaged $21.32 per hour and accounted for 69.2 percent of compensation costs; benefit costs averaged $9.48 and accounted for the remaining 30.8 percent. In the Northeast, which includes New York and eight other states, the average employee compensation cost was $33.18. Wages and salaries averaged $22.91, and benefits averaged $10.27. The South had the lowest average cost for employee compensation with $26.32 per hour. The Midwest average was $28.15, and the West's was $30.14.

12/21/12 (c) 2012 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-546-8303 or email service@rbj.net.


What You're Saying 

There are no comments yet. Be the first to add yours!

Post Your Own Comment

 
Username:
Password:

Not registered? Sign up now!
 

To Do   Text Size
Post CommentPost A Comment eMail Size1
View CommentsView All Comments PrintPrint Size2
ReprintsReprints Size3
  • E-mailed
  • Commented
  • Viewed
RBJ   Google