Government & Politics News
- State funding aids construction of affordable housing
Two local housing projects are receiving state funding to help with construction costs. They are part of more than $16.5 million the state is awarding for the construction of 240 new units of affordable housing.
- RIT gets grant to establish cybersecurity scholarship program
The National Science Foundation has awarded Rochester Institute of Technology a five-year, nearly $4 million grant that will make the university part of the foundation’s federal scholarship program.
- Regional planning council to get federal funding
The Genesee Finger Lakes Regional Planning Council is receiving federal funding to help develop a comprehensive economic development strategy that supports private capital investment and creates jobs.
- Unshackle Upstate names executive director
Unshackle Upstate has named Greg Biryla as its new executive director. He previously served as director of development.
- State awards millions for railway, airport repairs
The Rochester region has been awarded more than $1.3 million for railway repairs and more than $1.7 million for airport repairs from the state’s Passenger and Freight Rail Assistance Program.
- Rochester picked for Bloomberg Philanthropies program
Rochester is one of 12 U.S. cities selected to participate in the $45 million expansion of Bloomberg Philanthropies' Innovation Teams program, Mayor Lovely Warren said Monday.
- Budget bill includes $122.4 million for local VA project
The just-passed federal budget bill includes $122.4 million to help fund an ambitious expansion of the Veterans Affairs’ Canandaigua health care campus, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Monday.
- HTR to locate its business accelerator in Sibley Building
Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy announced Monday that High Tech Rochester Inc.’s Business Cooperative Accelerator has a green light to locate in Rochester’s historic Sibley Building as part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s commitment to creating high-tech jobs in Monroe County.
- Finger Lakes region gets $80.7 million economic development award
The Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council was awarded $80.7 million Thursday during a presentation in Albany. It was one of the regions receiving top performer awards.
- Four area firms get new state certification
Four Rochester-area businesses were included in a list released Tuesday by Gov. Andrew Cuomo announcing firms newly certified as New York State Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses.
- Wiesner re-indicted on felony count
Robert Wiesner, the husband of Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks, was re-indicted Friday by a Monroe County grand jury.
- Highest - Paid Elected Officials
Ranked by current salary.
- Warren wants details on the firing of RHA head
Mayor Lovely Warren wants specifics regarding the Rochester Housing Authority’s decision to fire Alexander Castro as executive director, she states in a letter released Tuesday. The authority’s board voted to dismiss Castro at its Oct. 14 meeting.
- COMIDA OKs tax breaks for High Falls project
A local real estate entity was approved Tuesday for incentives totaling $60,792 to redevelop the Center at High Falls into mixed use at a cost of $1.57 million.
- URMC spinoff targets creation of 132 jobs
A University of Rochester Medical Center spinoff is one of 17 businesses across the state participating in the new initiative creating tax-free areas around colleges and universities
- Warren to appear on panel at U.S.-Canada border summit
Rochester’s Lovely Warren is among five mayors scheduled to discuss transportation and energy policy and relations among municipalities on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border during a summit this week in Buffalo.
- M&T to issue $2.9 million in refunds
M&T Bank Corp. will provide refunds totaling $2.9 million to 59,000 customers for deceptively advertising free checking accounts, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau said Thursday.
- Report gives low marks to N.Y. on tax burden fairness
New York earned poor marks for its tax burden fairness, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- COMIDA approves tax breaks for Edge of the Wedge
Buckingham Properties LLC was approved Tuesday for tax exemptions totaling $481,326 to support its $5.2 million Edge of the Wedge development on South Clinton Avenue.
- Credit Unions
Ranked by total assets as of December 31, 2013.