Government & Politics News
- State awards millions for railway, airport repairs
The Rochester region has been awarded more than $1.3 million for railway repairs and more than $1.7 million for airport repairs from the state’s Passenger and Freight Rail Assistance Program.
- Rochester picked for Bloomberg Philanthropies program
Rochester is one of 12 U.S. cities selected to participate in the $45 million expansion of Bloomberg Philanthropies' Innovation Teams program, Mayor Lovely Warren said Monday.
- Budget bill includes $122.4 million for local VA project
The just-passed federal budget bill includes $122.4 million to help fund an ambitious expansion of the Veterans Affairs’ Canandaigua health care campus, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Monday.
- HTR to locate its business accelerator in Sibley Building
Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy announced Monday that High Tech Rochester Inc.’s Business Cooperative Accelerator has a green light to locate in Rochester’s historic Sibley Building as part of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s commitment to creating high-tech jobs in Monroe County.
- Finger Lakes region gets $80.7 million economic development award
The Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council was awarded $80.7 million Thursday during a presentation in Albany. It was one of the regions receiving top performer awards.
- Four area firms get new state certification
Four Rochester-area businesses were included in a list released Tuesday by Gov. Andrew Cuomo announcing firms newly certified as New York State Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses.
- Wiesner re-indicted on felony count
Robert Wiesner, the husband of Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks, was re-indicted Friday by a Monroe County grand jury.
- Highest - Paid Elected Officials
Ranked by current salary.
- Warren wants details on the firing of RHA head
Mayor Lovely Warren wants specifics regarding the Rochester Housing Authority’s decision to fire Alexander Castro as executive director, she states in a letter released Tuesday. The authority’s board voted to dismiss Castro at its Oct. 14 meeting.
- COMIDA OKs tax breaks for High Falls project
A local real estate entity was approved Tuesday for incentives totaling $60,792 to redevelop the Center at High Falls into mixed use at a cost of $1.57 million.
- URMC spinoff targets creation of 132 jobs
A University of Rochester Medical Center spinoff is one of 17 businesses across the state participating in the new initiative creating tax-free areas around colleges and universities
- Warren to appear on panel at U.S.-Canada border summit
Rochester’s Lovely Warren is among five mayors scheduled to discuss transportation and energy policy and relations among municipalities on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border during a summit this week in Buffalo.
- M&T to issue $2.9 million in refunds
M&T Bank Corp. will provide refunds totaling $2.9 million to 59,000 customers for deceptively advertising free checking accounts, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau said Thursday.
- Report gives low marks to N.Y. on tax burden fairness
New York earned poor marks for its tax burden fairness, a new report from WalletHub shows.
- COMIDA approves tax breaks for Edge of the Wedge
Buckingham Properties LLC was approved Tuesday for tax exemptions totaling $481,326 to support its $5.2 million Edge of the Wedge development on South Clinton Avenue.
- Credit Unions
Ranked by total assets as of December 31, 2013.
- Highest-Paid Public Co. Executives, Part 1
Ranked by total 2013 compensation.
- Highest-Paid Public Co. Executives, Part 2
Ranked by total 2013 compensation.
- U.S. gives city $11.3 million for anti-poverty efforts
The city of Rochester will receive $11.3 million for anti-poverty activities, including nearly $8 million for the Community Development Block Grant program.
- Cuomo favorability drops, but he keeps lead over Astorino
In the first statewide opinion poll since news of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s possible involvement with the Moreland Commission ethics panel he created, his favorability rating dropped to 53 percent, the lowest since he took office three years ago.