Health Care News
- Foundation donates $1 million for new UR building
The William and Mildred Levine Foundation is donating $1 million to support construction of a new University of Rochester Medical Center building slated to house a pediatric autism clinic, URMC officials said Monday.
- Budget bill includes $122.4 million for local VA project
The just-passed federal budget bill includes $122.4 million to help fund an ambitious expansion of the Veterans Affairs’ Canandaigua health care campus, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Monday.
- Home Health Care Agencies
- Poll: Most do not seek repeal of Obamacare
While a plurality of RBJ Daily Report Snap Poll respondents—43 percent—say the Affordable Care Act should be repealed, more than half of the poll participants do not support that move. A year ago, a slight majority favored repeal.
- URMC hires successor to CFO Goonan
The University of Rochester Medical Center has named a longtime Boston Children’s Hospital financial official to replace URMC chief financial officer Michael Goonan, who is retiring Dec. 31.
- Finger Lakes Health to strengthen communication
Finger Lakes Health has agreed to strengthen communication with deaf and hard-of-hearing patients, state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said Thursday.
- URMC spinoff targets creation of 132 jobs
A University of Rochester Medical Center spinoff is one of 17 businesses across the state participating in the new initiative creating tax-free areas around colleges and universities
- Independent Living Communities
Ranked by number of Independent living units.
- Assistive Living Communities
Ranked by number of beds.
- Skilled Nursing Providers
Ranked by number of licensed beds.
- Carestream, UBMD Orthopaedics to develop 3-D imaging system
Carestream Health Inc. and SUNY Buffalo’s UBMD Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Program have struck a deal to jointly develop a portable 3-D medical imaging system.
- Berk to step down as URMC CEO to head new research institute
University of Rochester Medical Center CEO Bradford Berk M.D. plans to step down at the end of the year to establish and head a new UR research organization, the Rochester Neurorestorative Institute, officials said Wednesday. Mark Taubman M.D., dean of the School of Medicine and Dentistry, will take over as medical center CEO.
- MVP Health Care to discontinue two Medicare Advantage plans
Pressed by continuing cuts in Medicare Advantage reimbursements, MVP Health Care is dropping two such plans, CEO Denise Gonick said Tuesday.
- Medication technician admits to stealing narcotics
A Rochester medication technician has pleaded guilty to stealing some 650 prescription narcotics from patients at the Heather Heights assisted living facility in Pittsford, officials said Friday.
- Urgent Care Centers
Ranked by number of annual patient visits
- Retirement Communities
Ranked by number of units
- Strong West conversion to ED approved by state health officials
State officials have green-lighted Strong West’s conversion from an urgent care center to a freestanding emergency department, University of Rochester Medical Center officials said Monday.
- Fine Trust makes $2 million gift to UR
A $2 million gift from the Robert H. Fine Trust will establish the third University of Rochester endowed chair in the Fine family’s name, UR Medical Center officials said Monday.
- UR receives $3.7 million for cancer research
The University of Rochester has received $3.7 million in federal funding to conduct clinical trials aimed at improving cancer control and protection.
- Ill.-based firm to open facility in Brockport, employ 40
An Illinois-based medical supplies company plans to open a 260,000-square-foot distribution center in Brockport.