Health Care News
- Honorees picked for achievement in health care
Twenty-three honorees—21 individuals and two organizations—have been selected as recipients of the Rochester Business Journal’s 2016 Health Care Achievement Awards. This year’s group is the 14th to receive the awards.
- Richard Dreyfuss to speak at East House Celebration
Academy Award-winning actor Richard Dreyfuss, who portrays Bernie Madoff in the TV miniseries “Madoff,” is coming to Rochester for a special benefit.
- Excellus ends use of A.M. Best bond rating service
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield and its wholly owned for-profit subsidiary MedAmerica Inc. are pulling out of A.M. Best Co.’s bond rating service.
- Excellus unit ends its sales: MedAmerica to halt writing new policies
- VirtualScopics, PPD amend their agreement
VirtualSopics Inc. has amended its six-year agreement with Pharmaceutical Product Development LLC —a global contract research organization—to eliminate the marketing exclusivity terms in the pact, effective April 11, officials said.
- Manhattan Square Family Medicine opens downtown
University of Rochester Medicine Primary Care on Monday opened a new office with the goal of serving people who live and work downtown, officials said.
- 'Homelike' is the new standard for senior living
- Pilot program gives patients access to doctors' notes
Rochester Regional Health officials announced the launch of OpenNotes, a nationwide pilot program that provides patients access to medical notes.
- Valeant names former CFO as interim chief executive
Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc. former chief financial officer and current board member Howard Schiller is at least temporarily stepping into the Bausch & Lomb parent’s ailing chairman and CEO’s shoes.
- Health care world digests Cadillac tax postponement
- Small companies strain to fulfill ACA requirements
- Washington OKs last-minute changes to health care rules
- Valeant names interim leadership
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc., the parent company of Bausch & Lomb Inc., said a trio of executives will lead the firm while its chairman and CEO, Michael Pearson, is on a medical leave of absence.
- GRHF awards nearly $4M in grants to help seniors
The Greater Rochester Health Foundation on Monday announced it had awarded nearly $4 million in three-year Clinical Services for Older Adults grants that will commence in 2015. It is the first year GRHF has offered funding in this area.
- Home Care Agencies
- Rochester LPN pleads guilty to Medicaid fraud
A local licensed practical nurse has admitted to submitting false Medicaid claims.
- Health centers to get $5M in federal funding
A federal program is sending more than $5 million to provide local health care to underserved people, Rep. Louise Slaughter announced Friday.
- Outlying sites see black ink
- RIT grad student honored for research
A Rochester Institute of Technology student has been honored for his work in furthering the development of a way to improve the treatment of irregular heartbeat.
- URMC settles with AG over patient data breach
The University of Rochester Medical Center has agreed to pay a $15,000 fine and educate its workers on health care privacy laws to settle a claim over an unauthorized release of patient data earlier this year, state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said Tuesday.