Technology & Telecom News
- Nominees named for Technology Woman of the Year Award
Digital Rochester Inc. has 14 nominees for the 2017 Technology Woman of the Year Award, the organization announced Thursday.
- Semi-finalists selected for 2017 Rochester Venture Challenge
The 2017 Rochester Venture Challenge competition has selected eight semi-finalists from a pool of 35 companies, officials announced Friday. The eight early stage companies are competing for over $40,000 in cash and prizes.
- N.C. firm joins AIM Photonics
The American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics announced a new member: Coventor Inc., a semiconductor process modeling software company.
- Vuzix to attend international trade fair
Vuzix Corp. will attend LogiMAT 2017—the 15th Interntaional Trade Fair for Distribution, Materials Handling, and Information Flow—from March 14-March 16 in Germany.
- Google Drive Websites Host For Free
- Charter Communications launches Spectrum here
Charter Communications Inc. has launched Spectrum, a TV and internet service provider, in Rochester, officials announced Tuesday. Charter acquired Time Warner Cable Inc. last May.
- Firm ramps up growth in health care IT
Bio-Optronics Inc. has grown its revenue at a more than 20 percent clip for the past three years—a breakneck pace for a firm that has been operating for over three decades in the region.
- Slaughter pushes for funding for MCC optics program
Rep. Louise Slaughter is pushing for federal funding for the optics program at Monroe Community College.
- Albany firm to acquire Finger Lakes Technologies Group
Finger Lakes Technologies Group Inc. will be acquired by FirstLight Fiber, a fiber-optic bandwidth infrastructure services provider based in Albany, company officials said Monday. The deal is expected to close in the third quarter.
- New law on cybersecurity affects banks
The state Department of Financial Services’ new cybersecurity regulations that took effect starting Wednesday are touted as a protective shield for consumer data.
- Michael Pavia: Keeping his focus on imaging
It was more than a decade ago when members of the local optics community traveled to a trade event in San Diego and spent some free time riding the Pacific Ocean on boats that raced in the America’s Cup.
- A bold approach
What is one way to retain your employees and grow your company? Tell them to look for another job.
- Windstream reports loss in fiscal Q4
Arkansas-based Windstream Holdings Inc. reported a loss of $87 million—or 94 cents a share—in its fiscal fourth quarter, officials announced Wednesday.
- RIT launches cybersecurity program
Enrollment is open for courses in Rochester Institute of Technology‘s MicroMasters cybersecurity program.
- Greenlight adds broadband in Fairport
Greenlight Networks LLC — a broadband service provider — has completed construction of the first Greenlight district in the village of Fairport.
- B&L parent posts loss in Q4
Bausch & Lomb Inc. parent Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. Tuesday reported a net loss and a drop in year-over-year fourth-quarter sales.
- Windstream-Earthlink merger complete
Windstream Holdings Inc.’s merger with EarthLink Holdings Corp. is now complete, the company announced Monday.
- Windstream to cut 50 positions
here in EarthLink merger
Windstream Holdings Inc. made some major staffing changes in connection to the upcoming closing of its $1.1 billion merger with Atlanta-based EarthLink Holdings Corp., officials announced Friday.
- Vuzix signs deal with Toshiba unit
Vuzix Corp. has signed an agreement with Tokyo-based Toshiba Client Solutions Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corp., to build a pair of smart glasses.
- Software firms find attraction in hubs
Pockets of software companies are developing downtown.