Technology & Telecom News
- Software Developers
Ranked by number of local Software engineers and programmers.
- Trio of area IT companies make national list
Brite Computers, Finger Lakes Technologies Group Inc. and Synergy Global Solutions Inc. have been named to the 2014 Solution Provider 500 list by CRN, the media arm of the Channel Co.
- IT Support Firms
Ranked by number of local support engineers
- ON Semiconductor completes purchase of Truesense Imaging
ON Semiconductor Corp. has completed its acquisition of Truesense Imaging, a Rochester-based provider of high-performance image sensing devices, for some $95 million in cash.
- Ultralife reports operating loss in Q1 as sales fall
Ultralife Corp. reported Thursday a drop in first-quarter sales and an operating loss due in part to sluggish sales in its communications systems business.
- Q2 loss narrows, sales rise at IEC Electronics
IEC Electronics Corp. reported Thursday a smaller second-quarter loss as sales increased during the period.
- Digital Rochester to hold personal cloud event
Digital Rochester Inc. plans to hold a personal cloud event to delve into one of the industry’s top trends for 2014. With a personal cloud, users can access data from any device.
- Computer Companies
Ranked by the number of local companies.
- Voting begins for 2014 RBJ Buzz Award
Competition for the 2014 RBJ Buzz Award begins at noon Friday. The award is part of the RBJ Best of the Web Awards and is given to the Rochester company that creates the most “buzz” around its presence in the community through its social media channels.
- AT&T Rochester Civic App Challenge launches
AT&T Inc. launched the AT&T Rochester Civic App Challenge on Thursday. It is two-month virtual hackathon being conducted along with sponsors Rochester Institute of Technology, Digital Rochester, High Tech Rochester Inc. and Hack Upstate. Developers are expected to build smartphone apps that serve the community,
- 5Linx generates $6.7M return for retirement fund
5Linx Enterprises Inc. has generated an estimated $6.7 million return, nearly four times the initial investment, for the New York State Common Retirement Fund, the state comptroller said Thursday.
- Web Design Firms
Ranked by number of local Web designers.
- Internet Service Providers
Ranked by number of area employees.
- Verisk Analytics to buy Pictometry parent
Verisk Analytics Inc. has inked an agreement to acquire EagleView Technology Corp., the parent company of Rochester-based Pictometry International Corp.
- ComTec gets Epicor recognition
ComTec Solutions of NY LLC has been named a gold partner by Epicor Software Corp.
- Vuzix smart glasses to be shown at Las Vegas event
Vuzix Corp. plans to showcase its M100 smart glasses at the AT&T Developer Summit Hackathon on Jan. 6 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.
- Sweetwater Energy inks deal with Pacific Ethanol for $100M
Sweetwater Energy Inc. has landed its fourth multimillion contract to supply a California firm with industrial sugars for the production of cellulosic ethanol. The 15-year deal is estimated to be worth roughly $100 million.
- Allworx extends applications to Android devices
Allworx Corp., a Windstream Corp. company, has extended its Allworx Reach application to Android devices.
- Soleo Communications completes acquisition
Soleo Communications Inc. has completed its acquisition of the assets of California-based Apptera Inc.
- Massachusetts firm to acquire PT for $30 million
Sonus Network Inc. has agreed to acquire Performance Technologies Inc. for approximately $30 million, or $3.75 a share, expanding its addressable market from $2 billion to $3 billion by 2017.