Technology & Telecom News
- Verizon Wireless bolsters network in Rochester area
Verizon Wireless Inc. has activated a new cell site, added XLTE technology or extra bandwidth to five local sites and turned on six small cells in Rochester, officials said Wednesday.
- Digital Rochester calls for GREAT Awards nominations
Digital Rochester Inc. is requesting nominations for its fifth annual Greater Rochester Excellence and Achievement in Technology Awards, which honor the area’s top companies or individuals who contribute to technology and innovation growth in Rochester.
- How to buy a computer on ShopGoodwill.com
- Getting past the 'tech speak' with your digital marketing partner
- RIT students win first place at hackathon
Rochester Institute of Technology students were on the winning team at the recent U.S. Geospatial Intelligence Foundation’s GeoInt Hackathon in Herndon, Va., college officials said.
- UR dean receives $10,000 from National Science Foundation
A dean of the University of Rochester was honored in a White House ceremony Tuesday and received $10,000 from the National Science Foundation, the university announced.
- Tech company's app offers point-of-sale system for restaurants
OrderSnapp Inc. has unveiled a free tablet point-of-sale system for restaurants, officials said.
- DOT begins work on interchange in Brighton
Work is underway on a $30.7 million project to reconstruct the interchange at Interstate 390 and Route 15A in Brighton, the state Department of Transportation announced. It is the last of four projects to improve access to Route 390 and the adjacent roads.
- Judge orders Consilium out of headquarters
- EarthLink to lay off 65 with closure of Buffalo-area site
Atlanta-based EarthLink Inc. will eliminate 65 jobs starting in September when its customer service center in Amherst begins shutting down, a notice filed with the state Department of Labor states.
- A narrower focus expands its opportunity
- Harris completes $4.75 billion acquisition of Exelis
Harris Corp. completed its acquisition of Exelis Inc. on Friday. The deal combines two companies that together generate $8 billion in annual revenue and employ more than 3,200 workers in the Rochester region.
- NTID named major subcontractor on FCC contract
Rochester Institute of Technology’s National Institute for the Deaf has been tapped for its expertise by the Federal Communications Commission, RIT leaders said.
- American Fuel Cell gets funding for R&D
Seven companies statewide, including American Fuel Cell LLC in Rochester, have been selected for funding to help scale up or demonstrate innovative approaches to energy storage. Each company gets $250,000 to support its research and development efforts.
- Work to begin Tuesday on Inner Loop bridge
Construction is scheduled to start Tuesday on the $5.9 million project to rehabilitate the bridge that carries the Inner Loop over the Genesee River and Brown’s Raceway.
- Exelis shareholders approve merger with Harris
Exelis Inc. announced Friday its shareholders approved the merger agreement for the acquisition of Exelis by Harris Corp. during its special meeting of shareholders. The companies expect the merger to close May 29, subject to remaining closing conditions.
- UR researchers get grant to develop app for monitoring Ebola
Researchers from the University of Rochester have received a grant to develop an app to track the spread of Ebola and other infectious diseases, officials announced Friday.
- Internet scam snags company for some $1M
- Monro posts record profit, misses expectations
Monro Muffler Brake Inc. on Thursday reported record fourth-quarter net income, but missed Street estimates.
- Former Veramark CEO Mazzullo takes helm at Ambrell
Scottsville-based Ameritherm Inc., which does business as Ambrell, has named Anthony Mazzullo as its next president and CEO, effective May 26.