|PRINT | CLOSE WINDOW|
It's that time of year-time to go back to school. Even if you have enough degrees for one lifetime, there are other ways to dust out the cobwebs in your brain.
For starters, check out the continuing education offerings in local school districts. These can be found at district websites. Classes run the gamut from basic car maintenance to starting a business to yoga, and the cost is usually a bargain. A beginning American Sign Language class at Brighton Central School District, for example, meets for eight, two-hour sessions and costs just $48.
The Rush-Henrietta Central School District, which has one of the largest continuing ed programs in the area, offers dozens of classes in 12 locations, from a one-day ethnic market tour to an eight-week furniture refinishing class.
Art and craft classes abound at the Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester Museum & Science Center, Rochester Arc & Flame Center and Visual Studies Workshop. Learn how to throw a pot, forge an iron hook or weave a scarf. Set type and create a printed piece at Dock 2 Letterpress and the Printing & Book Arts Center at the Genesee Center for the Arts & Education.
Pick up a new instrument or find your voice in a class or private lessons at Hochstein School of Music and Dance or Eastman Community Music School. Learn how to make Genoese pesto or an apple pie from scratch at the New York Wine & Culinary Center in Canandaigua.
You can get world-class dance instruction right here in Rochester. A sampling: Renowned Garth Fagan Dance has classes for all ages; the fall semester begins Sept. 4. The new beginner swing dance session begins Sept. 12 at Groove Juice Swing in the Tango Cafe Dance Studio. And FuturPointe Dance has lunch-hour and evening classes at its Bittner Street studio.
Writers & Books literary center has seminars, classes and workshops for writers and readers of all stripes. Young professionals get together in the center's Book Thieves book club.
- Brighton Central School District, bcsd.org
- Dock 2 Letterpress, dock2letterpress.com
- Eastman Community Music School, esm.rochester.edu/community
- FuturPointe Dance, futurpointedance.org
- Garth Fagan Dance, garthfagandance.org
- Genesee Center for the Arts, geneseearts.org
- Groove Juice Swing, groovejuiceswing.com
- Hochstein School of Music and Dance, hochstein.org
- Memorial Art Gallery, mag.rochester.edu
- New York Wine & Culinary Center, nywcc.com
- Rochester Arc & Flame Center, rocafc.com
- Rochester Museum & Science Center, rmsc.org
- Rush-Henrietta Central School District, rhnet.org
- Tango Cafe, tangocafedance.com
- Visual Studies Workshop, vsw.org
- Writers & Books, www.wab.org
8/17/12 (c) 2012 Rochester Business Journal. To obtain permission to reprint this article, call 585-546-8303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.