A profile of the Greater Rochester Area
Situated on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, the Greater Rochester area is a center of high technology and international business. The area is known for its highly skilled work force and leading position in imaging, optics, telecommunications, biomedicine, tooling and machining, and printing. Greater Rochester also boasts a strong agricultural sector; among other crops, it is a leading producer of apples and domestic wine.
The heart of the region is the city of Rochester, located along the historic Genesee River. Nearly 250,000 people reside in the city, which is part of Monroe County (population 747,000).
Rochester is the nation's top per-capita exporter. Local companies—ranging from Eastman Kodak Co., Xerox Corp. and Bausch & Lomb Inc. to hundreds of smaller firms—export to some 165 countries. The largest foreign markets for area companies are Canada, Mexico and Europe.
The following links offer a range of vital economic statistics for Greater Rochester. Acrobat Reader is needed to view these files (download Acrobat Reader).
• Annual population growth
• Rochester-area labor force
• Annual private-sector job growth
• Average annual employment by industry and county
• Average annual wage by industry and county
• Average annual establishments, employees and payrolls
• Manufacturing employers by county
• Top five private-sector employers
• Ten-year stock performance